Eagle has been announced as runners of up at the BioNewsRound awards at the Genesis conference 2013.
The awards saw Eagle compete with a number of life sciences companies for the award of having the news with the most impact in 2013. The award is aimed at celebrating success and advances whether that is in technologies, product development, deals or financing.
Eagle was entered on the basis of having secured their first fundraising in 2013. This fundraising saw the company receive £1 million as it expands its professional services arm and develops a technology platform. The 12 finalists were invited to present to a panel of judges at Canada House, where they all gave a short presentation describing the significance and the impact of the news.
The winners were Astex Pharmaceuticals for their $886 million acquisition by Otsuka Pharmaceutical, and alongside Eagle as joint runners up, were Abcodia.
David Flanders, CEO of Eagle said: “This award shows the significance of Eagle’s first fundraising. Not only does this investment mean the company is now in a strong position, the role of bioinformatics is now becoming increasingly important for the life sciences community. In addition, bioinformatics is no longer just about human health, but also has an impact in fields as diverse as animals, crops, food, and fast moving consumer goods.”
The full lists of finalists were:
- Ariana Pharma – WIN Consortium selection
- Eagle Genomics – Completion of first fundraising
- Canbex – Commencement of Phase 1 clinical trial
- BioIndustry Association – Announcing renewal of the Biomedical Catalyst
- Kalgene – Announcing multi-year collaboration with CIMTEC
- Domainex – Launch of Discovery STAR Award competition
- MRCT – Joint call for targets with Arthritis Research UK
- Astex Pharmaceuticals – Acquisition by Otsuka Pharmaceutical
- Sernova Corp – Outcome of early Cell Pouch studies
- Abcodia – The Early Diagnostics Consortium initiative
- Isomerase Therapeutics – Collaboration with Neurovive Pharmaceutical AB
- UCLB – Licensing deal with BioMarin